BIS # 960 “I CAME TO TEACH, BUT AM GOING AWAY TAUGHT”

Nancy Donelly
ALIRAJPUR, JUNE 1, 2008: A very "Humbling Experience" is what I have had, staying at Don Bosco in Alirajpur. The verse from the letter of St. James kept coming to my mind; "...so faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead." The selfish person that I am, it is very difficult for me to fathom how people can work so selflessly for the poor in these distant villages. Hats off to all the Fathers, Brothers, Sisters and Social Workers who give off themselves knowing fully well that at the end of the road there are no monetary gains or may be even appreciation for the work they do. Coming to this remote house I thought I'd lose weight, but on the contrary, the atmosphere at the dining table was so wonderful that I've piled on a few kilos. Really I must say a big thank you to the Salesian community at Alirajpur for going out of their way to make me feel at home. I also cannot forget the hospitality extended to me by the Sisters along with their superior Sr. Tessie. I admire their courage and sacrifice in the face of so many odds. May God bless each one of them and grant them grace and strength to carry on His work. And last but not the least I owe it all to Fr. Leslie, because if it were not for him, I would never have made this trip. I came to 'Teach', but I am going away 'Taught', a great many lessons of life. (Nancy Donelly spent the summer holidays as a volunteer, teaching English to the tribal children at Don Bosco, Alirajpur.)


To receive BIS News SMS alerts email your mobile number to bis@donboscomumbai.org