BIS #1450 FR. HARRIE KANTERS, SDB COMES TO MUMBAI!

Bernard Britto sdb MUMBAI, JULY 16, 2009: Fr. Harrie Kanters, a Salesian Priest, from Holland, is 77 years young!!!! And is the only one, who for the past 25 years, has been working for Street youngsters in Amsterdam. A glance at him and you will know that he effuses youth, commitment and daring vision. He is the director of Don Bosco Amsterdam, Four Projects one face! For his outstanding contribution with destitute street youth, the Government is felicitating him with the Marga Klompe Prys award. In an era when we Salesians are called to return to Don Bosco and to the marginalized youngsters he stands as an example. He has a stopover at the Provincial House before moving to Hyderabad with his group of Volunteers giving them a taste of some Indian street children Projects.


Excerpts from his interview:


What is unique about your apostolate? “I’m the only Salesian working for the Street Youth in the project of Amsterdam, there are no others. It is supported by the young volunteers and lay youngsters. It is quite an experience to teach them the spirituality of Don Bosco and the Preventive system and then use them as animators but let me tell you Don Bosco Sells! His life captures the youngsters!”


Now that you are going to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of your apostolate, tell me who is your inspiration? What keeps you ticking?“My inspiration is surely Don Bosco the good shepherd like Jesus looking out for the lost sheep, youngsters in the streets, yes in Europe we have street children, the illegal young refugees, pregnant teenagers, those run away from family and home”


How do you manage your apostolate without a Salesian Community? “I’m attached to a Salesian Community some 45 minutes from the street home. But you will find me all alone with the youngsters. It is interesting... I get hundreds of forms from universities; colleges around Holland wanting to come to work with me and stay with me to learn the Don Bosco way. They are not ready for a long term or life time commitment. But most of them are generous with their time, energy, expertise. They are ready to help.”


What is the reaction of the other NGOS or the Government about your service? “Looking at the success stories of our apostolate, many religious congregations wanted to copy our Salesian Style. I invited them to come and see and even to live with me. The Government was suspicious at the beginning but now it has not only accepted me but is supporting me, it is rewarding me and Don Bosco.”


Do you feel it is high time many Salesians imitate and do what you are doing because of lack of vocation? “Yes, I’m not doing anything new. I’m doing what Don Bosco wants us to do for and be with the youngsters.” What is your message for the Salesians working for the street youngsters? “To work with the Street Children you need a heart! And never lose your head! And make Don Bosco your man"


What is the best experience you had working for the street kids, youngsters in distress? “One of the best experiences of working for street youngsters is that after many years they come to you and tell their stories of joy, achievements and successes. On such was Roy after excelling in his studies he went to Canada, perused his higher studies, he came to meet me with his family and when he saw me he gave me a big hug and touched my feet and thanked me for all that I did for him.”


What are youngsters craving for? Are youngsters receptive with the method of Don Bosco? Is the preventive system relevant? “The youngsters are carving for understanding, love, they want a friend. Yes Don Bosco's preventive system is relevant and alive. The principle of being present for the youngsters and accompanying them in their journey is fascinating”.


What are your future plans? Do you want to expand? “I’m not the ambitious type. I take where the sprit leads and what is the need of the hour. I do what I can do with the youngsters for the youngsters with youngsters. They are my heroes and inspiration and team.”