BIS #4442 FOUR NEW SALESIAN COOPERATORS IN KUWAIT

by Susan D'Costa 

NORTH ARABIAN VICARIATE, 28 MAY 2015: The feast of Mary Help of Christians is a very significant day in the calendar of the Salesian Family. At Mass on Saturday, 23 May, four aspirants Nancy 20150523_194133.JPGD'Sa, Braulio Rodrigues, Elvis D'Mello and Loyola Pereira made their promise to be life-long Salesian Cooperators, after a period of two years of formation. "It is the greatest moment of my life. I am so happy because I will be able to serve the young and the abandoned children," said Elvis D'mello.

The Salesian Cooperators are a group of lay men and women who dedicate themselves to the welfare of the youth, and who live guided by Don Bosco's Salesian Spirit. The first group of Salesian Cooperators in Kuwait made their vows on 31 January, 2006, under the guidance of Fr. Tony D'souza. With each passing year, new aspirants are keen to join this inspiring and enthusiastic group. Today, there are forty-six Salesian Cooperators in the Kuwait chapter and four aspirants, with Fr. Blany Pinto, the Rector of the Salesians, as their Spiritual Director.

On 23 May, the four aspirants gathered in the church for a short talk on Don Bosco and to spend time in prayer. This was followed by the Eucharist, during which Fr. Blany shed light on the identity of the Salesian Cooperators. He made all aware that the way to heaven for a Salesian is by leading youngsters to heaven. During the promise ceremony, the aspirants were invited to the altar to sign the promise with Fr. Franco Pereira. Fr. Blany then blessed them with holy water and handed them a medal of our lady, exhorting them to have deep devotion to Our Lady, just like Don Bosco.

The new Salesian Cooperators were joyful and enthusiastic. Loyola Pereira said, "I will remember this day all my life. It is a great honour for me to be a  Salesian Cooperator." Braulio Rodrigues confessed, "I prayed a lot to Don Bosco today, so that I may be allowed to come early from work and take my promise. Don Bosco interceded for me and I was able to take part in the recollection and Holy Mass". "I am very happy to be part of the Salesian Family and work with the young,"  said Nancy D'sa